This is another easy and healthy snack used to prepare in Kerala. It is one of the breakfast item too. It can be made with rice as well as wheat flour. It is filled with coconut jaggery mixture, so kids will like it for sure. Since it is a steamed food item, this rice dumplings are healthy also.
- Rice flour – 1 cup
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Jaggery – 1/4 cup grated or (2-3 tablespoon sugar )
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- Cardamom powder – A pinch
- Ghee – 1 teaspoon
- Mix the grated coconut, jaggery, cumin seeds and cardamom powder.
- Add little salt to the rice flour and add hot water little by little until a smooth dough is formed. Add ghee and mix the dough well to make it extra-soft.
- Roll the dough into medium sized balls and flatten them with your palm. Fill it with the jaggery-coconut filling and reshape it into a ball.
- Steam the dumplings in a steamer or idli cooker for about 15 – 20 minutes.