A common and easy breakfast item in South India. This is a plain upma recipe. You can convert it as vegetable upma by adding more veggies like carrot, peas, beans etc. Also you can add urid dal along with seasoning ingredients. Roasted semolina is the main ingredient here.
- Rava / Semolina – 1 cup
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Small onion – 3
- Green Chili – 1
- Ginger – ½ teaspoon (finely chopped)
- Water – 1 ½ cup
- Heat a pan and roast rava in a moderate heat, stirring constantly, till it becomes light brown in colour. Keep the roasted rava aside.
- Heat oil in the nonstick pan and crackle mustard seeds. Add onion, green chili and curry leaves.
- When onion becomes translucent, add ginger and stir fry for some time.
- Add salt and water. Mix well and wait till water starts boiling well. Add roasted rava and mix well.
- Keep the pan closed and after 5- 7 minutes, mix well again so that no lumps are there. Serve hot with banana.