An easy side dish with raw plantain used to be served with rice. For an extra taste you can add cooked moong dal also along with this. I prepare it in both ways. The Kerala side dish ‘thoran’ is prepared in same way, only the vegetable differs.
Raw banana/ Green plantains – 4
Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
Crushed garlic – 3 cloves
- Chopped green chilies – 2 nos
- Shallots – 5
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds — 1/2 teaspoon
- Dried red chili – 1
- Peel and chop the raw banana into small pieces to a bowl of water. Discard the water and cook it covered by adding a cup of water and salt , till it is done.
- Grind grated coconut, turmeric powder, green chilies,cumin seeds and crushed garlic and shallots to a coarse paste.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. When it splutters add dried red chili, curry leaves, chopped shallots and fry it for a minute.
- Add cooked raw plantains and combine it with the coconut mix. saute for few minutes, stirring occasionally.