The Amaranth or red spinach is a very nutritional leafy vegetable used very commonly as a side dish for rice. Both green and red spinach are edible. It doesn’t need more time to cook. Here we can see the Kerala preparation of this as a side dish.
- Cheera/Spinach chopped fine – 2 cups
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Shallots chopped – 5
- Green chilies – 4, chopped
- Garlic – 3
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Grind grated coconut, turmeric powder, green chilies, cumin seeds and garlic into a coarse paste and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds into it.Allow it to splutter,then add curry leaves,shallots stir and add the chopped spinach.Stir for few minutes and mix in the ground paste.
- Add salt, stir and cook until all the water evaporates and it becomes dry.Serve with rice.