Prawns are my all time favorite seafood , I like to have it in any form. Usually in Kerala, the common preparation of prawns will be the ‘Konchu theeyal’ . The small varieties are used for this. Here I have shared a prawns masala recipe which can be used as a side dish for rice, chapathi etc.
- Prawns – 500 gram
- Onions chopped – 2
- Tomatoes – 2, finely chopped
- Green Chili – 3
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Kashmiri chili powder – 2 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Heat coconut oil in a thick bottomed wok. Splutter the mustard seeds and saute onion in oil. Once onion is translucent, saute chopped tomatoes, green chili and curry leaves.
- Add chili powder, turmeric powder and salt to taste. Sauté until the chili powder darkens the color.
- Add water and slide prawns to the gravy. Mix well and allow the prawns cook in the gravy for 15 minutes in low flame with lid closed.
- Open the lid, stir well, increase the flame and evaporate excess water to make the gravy in the required consistency. Switch off the flame.
- Season the prawn masala with 1 tablespoon coconut oil and curry leaves will give extra taste. Stir well and serve hot.