This is a simple and easy curry with dried green peas. You can serve it with rice and appam, dosa, idiyappam kind of breakfast items also. The coconut milk gives extra taste and flavor to this curry.
- Dried green peas – 1 cup
- Onion – 2 big, chopped
- Ginger & garlic – 1 teaspoon each, chopped
- Green chili – 2-3, slit lengthwise
- Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 2 teaspoon
- Fennel powder – 1 teaspoon
- Tomato – 1, chopped
- Medium thick coconut milk – 1½ cup
- Soak the dried green peas in water overnight. Drain the water and pressure cook them with 2 cups of water and salt. Separate the cooked green peas and stock.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the chopped onions and cook till it turns golden brown. Add chopped ginger, garlic and green chilli. Saute it for 2-3 minutes.
- Add all the masala powders. Stir well and cook till the oil starts appearing. Add a tablespoon of stock, just to bring the masala together. Switch off the gas and let the masala cool slightly.
- Grind the masala to a smooth paste, add more stock, if required, for grinding.
- In the same pan (add more oil if required), cook the ground masala for a minute. Add curry leaves, salt and chopped tomato. Mix well. Add the remaining stock. Let it boil, add cooked green peas. Mix well.
- Add medium thick coconut milk, let it boil. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from fire.