This is a traditional breakfast item in Kerala. We used to prepare it in occasions like X’mas, Easter and all. It is made of rice flour and coconut milk, you have to start the preparation one day before. Usually you have to soak the rice for hours and continue the process. Here I have prepared it with rice flour. The perfect appam will have crispy lace edges. You can serve it with chicken curry, stew, egg roast or coconut dry chutney.
- Rice flour – 2 cups
- Semolina – 2 tablespoon
- Medium coconut milk – 1 cup
- Thick coconut milk – 1 cup
- Yeast – ½ teaspoon
- Sugar – ½ teaspoon
- Add 1.5 glass of water to semolina & cook. Cook until it becomes soft with the consistency of a porridge. Keep aside to cool.
- Add ¼ cup lukewarm water to ½ teaspoon yeast & sugar and mix well. Allow it to rise.
- Take 2 cups of rice flour in a bottom deep vessel. Add the cooked semolina and mix well. Add the yeast & sugar mix and mix it well. Add the coconut milk little by little. Mix well. Keep it overnight.
- Next day morning, first mix the batter well. Add salt & sugar to taste.
- Heat Pan & pour a ladle of batter into it and rotate the pan. Make sure that the batter is spread in a circular form. Cover & cook. Once the middle portion is cooked, remove from fire.