A simple vegetarian side dish for rice with cabbage. Purple cabbage is used here. Almost all the thoran(stir fry) dishes are preparing in the same way.
- Cabbage, shredded – 1/2 of a medium
- Onion – 1
- Grated Coconut – 1 Cup
- Garlic – 4 cloves
- Cumin – 1/4 teaspoon
- Green chilies – 3
- Turmeric – a pinch
- Mix together coconut, turmeric powder, onion and green chilies using hands or you can coarsely grind everything together.Combine the cabbage with some salt.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add curry leaves and saute for a minute.
- Add the shredded cabbage and saute for 2 minutes. Next add the coconut mixture and combine everything together.
- Cover the pan and cook on low flame, stirring occasionally.
- After 10 minutes, the cabbage will be cooked. Remove the lid and stir fry for another 5 minutes so that the cabbage is crunchy and not soggy.