Dal tadka is a vegetarian dish in which lentils are cooked and finally tempered with spices. This can be served with rice or roti. This dish will be prepared in north Indian houses almost everyday.
- Toor dal – 1/2 cup
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Ginger – 1/2 teaspoon
- Garlic – 2
- Green chili – 1
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Dry red chili – 1
- In a pressure cooker heat oil and add onion, ginger, garlic and green chili and fry till onion turn golden brown.
- Add tomatoes and fry till raw smell leaves, add garam masala powder and fry well.Then add dal along with turmeric powder,required salt and water.
- Pressure cook until the dal is soft and mushy.Once pressure releases give a quick stir with a ladle.
- In a pan pour some ghee and add cumin seeds, red chili, asafoetida and fry for some time.Transfer the tempering to the dal and garnish with coriander leaves.