This time it is a theeyal with different veggie, that is brinjal. Usually brinjal used for stir fry or with masala stuffed kind of things. This is a Kerala vegetarian dish usually served with rice.
- Brinjal – 2, cut lengthwise
- Shallots – 1/2 cup
- Green chili – 2
- Tamarind – lemon size
- Coconut – 1/2 cup
- Chili powder – 2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 3 teaspoon
- Fenugreek powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Soak tamarind in 1/4 cup lukewarm water. Extract its juice and keep aside.
- Fry the grated coconut till it becomes brown. Lower the heat and add turmeric,chili,coriander, fenugreek powder and stir for a few seconds. Set aside to cool. Grind to a very fine paste without adding water.
- Heat oil in a pan, at medium heat. Add the sliced brinjal pieces, sliced pearl onions, green chilies, few curry leaves and saute until the brinjal pieces are half done. Add tamarind extract, enough water and salt.
- Bring to a boil and then add roasted coconut paste. Lower the heat and cook until the brinjal is done and the gravy thickens.
- In a small pan, heat coconut oil and splutter mustard seeds. Fry dry red chilies and curry leaves. Pour this over the curry. Mix well, keep it covered for some time and then serve.