This is a vegetarian recipe goes well with rice and it is prepared with elephant yam. I have already shared erissery recipes with different vegetables. The basic recipe will be same, only the main ingredient differs. Elephant yam contains large amount of protein making them great as a staple food.
- Elephant Yam(Chena) – 300 gram
Van payar/Black-eyed Beans – 50 gram
Coconut – 1 cup
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Black pepper – 4
- Garlic pods – 2
Chily powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Dry red chilies – 2
- Clean and cook beans by adding enough water, turmeric powder and chily powder. When the beans is nearly cooked, add yam pieces and allow it to cook.
- Grind together grated coconut, cumin seeds, black pepper and garlic into a coarse form.
- When the yam and beans are fully cooked, add the above ground mixture. Add some water and salt and allow it to cook. Remove from flame when it’s done.
- Fry 2 tablespoon of of grated coconut and add it to this mixture.
- Heat oil in a pan.Splutter mustard seeds, dry red chilies and curry leaves. Add this seasoning into the curry.