A vegetarian recipe with tomatoes. Theeyal is a popular dish of Kerala usually served with rice. It can be prepared with different vegetables which can be ulli(onion) theeyal, pavakka(bitter gourd) theeyal etc. Roasted ground coconut is the taste factor in this.
- Onion – 1
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Tomato – 2 medium, cut into cubes
- Green chilies – 2, slit
- Tamarind – small lemon size
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Pearl onions – 3
- Dried red chilies – 2, broken
- Coriander powder –2 teaspoon
- Fenugreek seeds – A pinch
- Soak tamarind in 1/4 cup warm water for 15 minutes and extract its juice and keep aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon coconut oil in a pan. Add grated coconut, sliced pearl onions and saute until coconut starts to change color.
- Add dried red chilies, coriander powder, fenugreek seeds and stir continuously until coconut turns dark brown. When it cools down, grind it to a fine paste. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a deep pan. Add sliced onion and stir until it starts to change color. Add tomato cubes, green chilies, enough salt and curry leaves. Cook covered for 5 minutes.
- Add the roasted coconut paste and 1.5 cups of water. Bring to a boil. Taste check for salt,add tamarind juice. Cook for 5 minutes and turn off.
- Heat 2 teaspoon coconut oil in a small pan. Splutter mustard seeds and fry 1 dry red chilly and curry leaves. Add 2 pearl onions and fry until brown.Pour this seasoning over the curry. Cover with a lid for some time and serve.