This is a traditional sadya dish. Erissery can be prepared with another vegetables like yam, papaya etc. In authentic preparation of erissery, pumpkin and black eyed beans are used.
- Black eyed beans / Van payar – 1/2 cup
- Pumpkin – 2 cups (cut into cubes)
- Grated coconut – 1/4 cup
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Green Chilly – 2
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Chilly powder – 1.5 teaspoon
- Dry red chili – 2
- Soak black eyed beans in water for an hour. Pressure cook them for 2 whistles.
- After opening the lid, add pumpkin cubes, along with salt, turmeric powder and chilly powder. Cook again for a whistle.
- Grind together coconut, cumin seeds and green chili. Add it to the above cooked pumpkin and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan, splutter mustard followed by dry red chilies and curry leaves.
- Add 2 tablespoon grated coconut and fry, till it turns brown. Add the above seasoning into the curry and mix well.