A delicious teatime snack from Kerala cuisine. Sukhiyan also called modakam is made from green gram, coconut and jaggery. It is easy to prepare and healthy also.
Green gram – 1 cup
Jaggery – 1/2 cup
Coconut – 1 cup
All purpose flour – 1 cup
Rice flour – 2 tbsp
Cardamom – 2 crushed
- Cook green gram with water & drain the water completely. Make sure that it is not overcooked.
- Melt jaggery by adding 1/4 cup water. When it melts add coconut & cardamom. Mix well.
- Add the cooked gram to this and mix it well. Make sure that the mix is dry. When it cools, make small balls with the mix.
- Combine all purpose flour and rice flour. Add little water to this and make a thick batter. (You can add little turmeric powder for colour)
- Dip each of the balls in the batter and deep fry in oil.