This is a Kerala style preparation of Squid / Calamari rings. It is a popular seafood delicacy across the region.Clean it properly and take care not to overcook the squid. Otherwise it will be turned to a rubbery consistency. Squid is a rich source of protein, vitamins and minerals. It is a delicious side dish for rice, roti and appam.
- Squid – 500 gram
- Onion – 1 big
- Tomato – 1
- Ginger – 1 teaspoon
- Garlic – 1 teaspoon
- Green chilli – 2
- Kashmiri chili powder – 1 teaspoon + 2 teaspoon
- Pepper powder – 3/4 teaspoon
- Turmeric – 1/4 teaspoon
- Garam masala/Meat masala – 3/4 teaspoon
- Marinate squid pieces with kashmiri chili, turmeric and salt for 30 minutes. Cook with enough water.
- Heat oil in a pan and add chopped onion, salt, ginger and garlic. Keep sauting until the onion turns golden brown colour. Add chili powder, pepper powder and saute for few seconds.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes and little water . Cover and cook on low flame until tomatoes become soft.
- Add the cooked squid along with curry leaves. Add a pinch of garam masala, stir well and close the lid and let the flavours to infuse. Switch off after few minutes.