This is a popular South Indian sweet especially made for festive occasions. It is an easy sweet made with semolina and ghee. Kesari also prepared with vermicelli and fruits like pineapple kesari, mango kesari etc. Kesari is nothing but saffron used for a flavour.
- Semolina/Rava – 1 cup
- Ghee – 8 tbsp
- Cashew nuts / Raisins – a few
- Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Water – 2 cup
- Cardamom (crushed) – 1/2 teaspoon
- Saffron – a pinch
- Fry cashew and raisins in ghee and keep it aside. Add 2tbsp of ghee in a pan. Add rava to this and fry for few minutes. Keep the fried rava separately in a plate.
- Pour 2 cups of water in the same frying pan and add 1/2 tsp of kesar powder/Saffron into it. ( optionally you can add bit of turmeric powder for colour)
- When the water boils add the fried rava into it little by little and stir well without any lumps for 5 minutes in a low flame.
- When the rava is cooked and add sugar into it little by little stirring continuously. Add rest of the ghee into it. It will reach the consistency of halwa.
- Finally add the golden brown cashew nuts,raisins and crushed cardamom and mix well.