This is a north Indian vegetarian side dish. It can be served with any Indian breads.
- Eggplant / Brinjal -1 large
- Onion – 2
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Garlic -5 cloves
- Green chili -1
- Tomatoes – 2,finely chopped
- Chili powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder -1 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
- Green Peas – 1/4 cup (optional)
- Wash the brinjal well, wipe it dry and apply oil all over the brinjal. Roast the brinjal over direct flame by rotating it all the sides so that skin turns black evenly all over.
When it cools, cut the stem and peel off the black skin. Mash it well and keep it aside. Grind ginger, garlic and green chili to a coarse paste.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds, when it sizzles, add finely chopped onions and saute until onions become light brown.
Add ginger garlic chili paste and saute for a few more minutes. Add chopped tomatoes, green peas, turmeric, chili, coriander, cumin, garam masala powders and cook until tomatoes become mushy.
- Add mashed brinjal, salt needed, mix well and cook for a few more minutes. Garnish with coriander leaves.